Why We Need You:
Building consumer product tech often starts with a concept and R&D. At WAZER, we have designed, engineered, and developed the world's first desktop waterjet, but we aren't going to stop there. We have tons of new ideas for future products, which start now at the R&D drawing board. As a result, we need a product minded R&D engineer for framing and steering early stage R&D activities and government grant research that can be quickly commercialized into future products.
Your Daily Role:
- You’ll apply strong understanding of mechanical engineering principles to evaluate early stage ideas and concepts on paper and in simulations
- You'll create timelines and project plans for each development activity
- You’ll design and make physical test and life cycle fixtures for evaluating concepts
- You’ll document test results, summarize activities, and draw conclusions that can be transferred to the product development team
- You'll execute on multiple concepts and projects at any given time
- You'll tune in existing designs to achieve better performance metrics
Must Have Qualifications:
- You have a broad understanding of mechanical engineering first-principals: including fluid dynamics, materials, statics, dynamics and heat transfer
- You are particularly strong in fluid dynamics
- You have experience using engineering first-principals to guide your engineering design direction
- You have a proven record of creating and testing theoretical models of physical systems
- You can prioritizes areas of research exploration based on available resources, timeline and potential benefits
- You are familiar with experimental test equipment and test procedures
- You are well organized and meticulous with documenting work
- You can manage time and resources including employees, subcontractors and suppliers with a startup lens
- You can brainstorm in a group environment but can work efficiently on execution independently
- You are familiar with prototyping processes and methods
Nice to Have Qualifications (but we can teach you):
- You have executed on R&D government grants
- You have machining or fabrication experience with processes such as laser, plasma, waterjet, welding, turning, milling, CNC, etc.
- You have knowledge of volume manufacturing processes
- You have worked on early stage research and development
- You are a participant in the maker community
Location & Environment:
We’ve located ourselves in Westchester County, NY, which is accessible to both the beautiful and outdoorsy Hudson River Valley and New York City, so you’ll be able to find whatever it is you enjoy doing not too far away!Furthermore, and our personal favorite perk, you’ll be working in an environment that is simultaneously our office, ideation studio, research lab, workshop, and final product assembly center, all under one roof. This allows us to collaborate and learn each other’s area of expertise, providing better solutions to our customers.
Our facility becomes a playground in the off hours. You are encouraged to design, make, and work on whatever personal projects you may have at the time. You may see brewing equipment, race car parts, plants, and art pieces around the office. Who knows what inspiration we use for the next problem we need to solve!
To apply, email us at email@example.com and include "R&D Product Engineer" in the subject line. Be sure to include your CV, Portfolio and a brief note about why you’re interested in joining WAZER in this role.