Why We Need You:
Taking a concept from ideation through production in a startup environment requires a well-rounded product engineer that can wear many hats whenever needed. Our product development team comprises of individuals that can formulate high level concepts to solve user needs and can engineer grounded solutions that are functional, elegant, and practical. Our product engineers must also support the product through production, developing lab and manufacturing setups, and debugging the numerous problems that customers may be seeing. If you are a junior to mid-level product or well-rounded mechanical engineer that wants to design products that you would love to use, and are interested in working in a fast-paced environment, then we want you.
Your Daily Role:
- You’ll ideate and conceptualize solutions to problems based on sound engineering principles
- You’ll hack together proof of concept works-like prototypes
- You’ll work with industrial design constraints to incorporate works-like concepts into functional looks-like prototypes
- You’ll convert prototypes into manufacturable components with the aid of manufacturers
Must Have Qualifications:
- You are a product engineering generalist
- You have a keen ability to problem solve
- You can ideate, prototype, test, and iterate a design concept within hours
- You have a portfolio, website, or other means of illustrating your mechanical engineering, design, and/or making capability
- You can converse on a wide breadth of mechanical engineering topics including linear motion, fluids, and materials
- You can identify the elements of a system that make it work and incorporate that into a custom application
- You have experience prototyping and understand the limitations of various fabrication techniques
- You can create robust Solidworks parts, drawings, and assemblies
- You have an ability to balance design optimization, subsystem simplicity, manufacturability, and product development timelines
- You have experience with some manufacturing processes and understand the constraints that they put on the design
- You are available to travel domestically and internationally to see your products come to life
Nice to Have Qualifications (but we can teach you):
- You have startup experience and can wear different hats
- You can bridge the gap between product, user and environment
- You have an appreciation for incorporating the various elements of industrial design into your work, including usability, ergonomics, materials, and color
- You have experience going from a working concept to a robust, manufacturable product
- You have worked with both domestic and/or overseas manufacturers on supply chain management, design-for-manufacturability, tooling, or assembly
- You have machining or fabrication experience with processes such as laser, plasma, waterjet, welding, turning, milling, CNC, etc.
- You are a participant in the maker community
While it would be great to bring on experienced talent for this role, we’ll accept any qualified candidate. If you are passionate about our mission, are good at what you do, and want to learn quickly don’t hesitate to contact us. Be open about what you don’t know and what you excel at, and we’ll do our best to evaluate this with our specific needs!
Location & Environment:
As an early-stage startup, you’ll inherently spend more time at work than your traditional 9-5. Thus, we’ve located ourselves in Rockland County, NY, which is a part of the beautiful and outdoorsy Hudson River Valley but at the same time only 45 minutes from NYC, so you’ll be able to find whatever it is you enjoy doing not too far away!
Furthermore, and our personal favorite perk, you’ll be working in an environment that is simultaneously our office, ideation studio, research lab, workshop, and final product assembly center, all under one roof. This allows us to collaborate and learn each other’s area of expertise, providing better solutions to our customers.
Our facility becomes a playground in the off hours. You are encouraged to design, make, and work on whatever personal projects you may have at the time. You may see brewing equipment, race car parts, plants, and art pieces around the office. Who knows what inspiration we use for the next problem we need to solve!
To apply, email us at email@example.com and include "Product Engineer" in the subject line. Be sure to include your CV, Portfolio and a brief note about why you’re interested in joining WAZER in this role.