Exporting DXF Files
WAM currently accepts 2 file types for importing drawings. DXF is one of the two and is commonly associated with more technical software. Despite this many drawing type software can also export to this format. We have included walkthrough for four commonly used programs; two technical, and two drawing.
Fusion .dxf export
1. Create your sketches and extrude profiles to solid.
2. If you are using text make sure it is converted to a path and extruded as a cutout.
3. Create a final sketch on the face which needs to be cut.
4. Export this sketch by right-clicking and saving as .dxf.
5. At this point you are ready to import the sketch into WAM
See Video for detail if needed.
Solidworks .dxf export
1. Create sketches and extrude profiles to solid
2. Make sure the text (if any) is converted to a path and extruded as a cutout.
3. Once you are finished designing, go to save as and save as .dxf.
4. Select the option on the left pane to Export Faces/ loops / edges and select the face you want to cut. Make sure export as a single file is selected and click green check mark.
5. You will then be given a preview you have to hit save to continue.
6. You are now ready to import the dxf into WAM.
Illustrator .dxf export
1. Create all shapes as paths as one layer
2. Add text to a different layer.
3. Select all layers and go to export as.
4. Select .dxf from the drop down menu and hit save.
5. In the next window that appears make sure the scale is right and outline text is selected. Then select okay.
Inkscape .dxf export
1. Create all shapes as paths and add text to a different layer.
2. Select the text and go to path and object to path
3. Go to save as and select .dxf from the dropdown menu.
4. Retain the standard values and export the file.